Issues with rsh and kerberos

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 3 20:05:28 UTC 2005

Waldher, Travis R wrote:

> [...]

There's several things that may or may not be significant for you.  It
depends on how kerberos was set up.

The easiest way to get a ticket is to do "kinit -f myusername".  If you
don't get an error, that means that the kerberos server on your network
gave you a ticket.  Your "rsh" should then work without the error.  You
may need to do "rsh -F" to make sure your credentials get forwarded to
the server.

If the "kinit -f" fails, try just "kinit myusername" (the "-f" means
that you want forwardable credentials which is only supported in
Kerberos V5 and later).  Then try the "rsh" again.  If the "rsh" fails,
try "rsh -F" (capital F) to forward your non-forwardable credentials.

Note that before you end your session, you should "kdestroy" to destroy
any credentials you may have (even though they will expire eventually).
Most people that have to use Kerberos put a "kinit" command in their
shell's startup script (".bashrc", ".profile", etc.) and the "kdestroy"
in their logout script (".bash_logout", etc.).

See "man kerberos" for more info.
-          su -; find / -name someone -exec touch \{\} \;            -
-                          - The UNIX way of touching someone        -