Remote Desktop Connection

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 4 18:06:30 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>I'm curios...were you running rdesktop from the command line or via
>>the GUI?  If it's the GUI, then yes, it wouldn't know to use 3389.
>>RDP is on port 3389, VNC is on port 5900.
>

> The GUI - "krdc"  You would still think it would go to the
> default port but that would make too much sense.

krdc invokes either rdesktop OR vncviewer depending on what you're
trying to access, and it sorts that out via SLP.  If you were to use the
command line "rdesktop xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", then it'd use port 3389 by
default since you're unambiguously invoking rdesktop.
-                He who laughs last thinks slowest.                  -