problem with telnet

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 02:27:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 06:12:40PM -0800, Bill Brunt wrote:
> > I may have missed something earlier, but have you opened the firewall
> > to telnet?
>
> Sorry for being such a moron, how do I test this?  I think I did.

As root, run

  service iptables status

If iptables is not installed, you'll get something like "unrecognized
service".  Then tell us (again, if necessary :-) which RH or FC you're
running.

If it gives you a very long list of rules, it's on.  You will need to
configure it to open port 23.  I gather from the IP addresses you've
posted that you're on a private network behind a good firewall.  In
that case you can turn off the firewall on that server, if it's not
the aforementioned good firewall.  To turn it off

  service iptables stop

To keep it from coming up at the next boot,

  chkconfig iptables off

To open a particular port, run (on FC1 and RH)

  redhat-config-securitylevel

On FC2 and 3, run

  firewall-config

Cheers,