Media test failure on CDs burnt from ISO file at 99%

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 6 03:32:55 UTC 2005

stuart wrote:

>On Saturday 05 February 2005 04:05, Graeme Nichols wrote:
>

>>Hello Folks,
>>
>>I know this has been discussed innumerable times here but I have a
>>somewhat different problem.
>>
>>I finally decided to bite the bullet and install (upgrade) from FC2 to
>>FC3. I had burnt the CDs some time ago using Nero Burning Rom SE under
>>Win XP SP2. I checked them at the time by making sure there was a file
>>system on the CDs.
>>
>>I put CD1 in my drive and booted to the FC3 boot screen, hit 'Enter' and
>>Linux and the USB and firewire drivers loaded etc.
>>
>>I then proceeded to test the CDs. All 4 of them tested to 99% then the
>>drive slowed down, Linux sat there for a while then returned a 'Fail'.
>>All 4 of the CDs failed at 99%.
>>
>>I tried burning a couple of other Disk 1 ISOs to CD including ticking
>>the box that said something like 'Finish the CD, no more writing' or
>>similar and burning from the DVD the ISOs came on (Australian Personal
>>Computer magazine DVD) as well as from the ISO copied from the DVD to
>>Hard Disk. No joy! Same failure when testing the CD.
>>
>>Has anyone else come across a similar problem, and if so, what is the
>>remedy?
>>
>>Very frustrating! I am not prepared to do an upgrade until I can get the
>>media test to complete successfully, for obvious reasons.
>>

>This is a known issue with FC3 cds:
>try booting from CD1 and typing
>linux mediacheck nocddma
>at the boot: prompt
>good references for other issues:
>http://www.fedorafaq.org/
>http://www.fedoranews.org/
>
>HTH
>
>Stuart

Hello Stuart, the boot argument 'linux mediacheck nocddma' does NOT work
on my system. I get exactly the same problem. My system is P4 3Ghz,
512Mb RAM, two optical drives (1 DVD writer, 1 DVD reader) , Radeon 9800
XXL video card, 200Ghz hda (Win XP SP2), 40Ghz hdb (Linux FC2) and all
the usual hardware. Booting from either optical drive results in the
same problem.

I checked out the links you gave and I can see nothing else on this
problem. Do you have any other tips to getting past this problem?

Kind regards,

Graeme.