More FC3 install problems

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 6 05:02:29 UTC 2005

Hello Folks, After getting over the media check failures of FC3 I am now
encountering the following error that pops up straight after selecting
the keyboard. It is as follows:

BUG
Assertion (heads >0) at disk_dos.c:485 in function
probe_partition_for_geom() failed
96

BUG
Assertion (sectors<=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function
probe_partition_for_geom() failed
96

Clicking on the right button (can't remember what it was labelled now)
resulted in a revolving hourglass cursor and a very long wait. Clicking
on the 'Ignore' button resulted in aborting the install.

I have tried the suggestions in the http://www.fedorafaq.org/
website (boot: linux ide=nodma) but no joy.

Has anyone come across the same problem? If so, what is the workaround?

My system is P4 3G, 512 Mb RAM, hda 200G (Win XP SP2), hdb 40G (FC2),
Radeon 9800XXL video and the usual hardware. The system is a Medion
(German make/design)

TIA

Kind regards,

Graeme.