Media test failure on CDs burnt from ISO file at 99%

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 8 04:16:56 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
>> stuart wrote:

>>> This is a known issue with FC3 cds:
>>> try booting from CD1 and typing
>>> linux mediacheck nocddma
>>> at the boot: prompt
>>> good references for other issues:
>>> http://www.fedorafaq.org/
>>> http://www.fedoranews.org/
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Stuart
>>>
>> Hello Stuart, the boot argument 'linux mediacheck nocddma' does NOT
>> work on my system. I get exactly the same problem. My system is P4
>> 3Ghz, 512Mb RAM, two optical drives (1 DVD writer, 1 DVD reader) ,
>> Radeon 9800 XXL video card, 200Ghz hda (Win XP SP2), 40Ghz hdb (Linux
>> FC2) and all the usual hardware. Booting from either optical drive
>> results in the same problem.
>>
>> I checked out the links you gave and I can see nothing else on this
>> problem. Do you have any other tips to getting past this problem?
>

> You did burn these on 700MB media, right?  The disks are rather full and
> will fail if you used 650MB blank media.
>
> You can also try "linux nodma mediacheck" to disable DMA completely.

Hi Rick, yes, they were burned to 700Mb media (the only CDs one can
purchase where I buy them). It is apparently a known kernel bug in FC3
according to the http://www.fedorafaq.org/ web site. Problem is though,
the workaround supplied by RedHat doesn't work on my machine. MY
workaround is to load my FC2 CD1 and run the media check from there.
They all checked OK.

My new problem that prevents me installing FC3 on my machine is as follows:

BUG
Assertion (heads >0) at disk_dos.c:485 in function
probe_partition_for_geom() failed
96

BUG
Assertion (sectors<=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function
probe_partition_for_geom() failed
96

Clicking on the right button (can't remember what it was labelled now)
resulted in a revolving hourglass cursor and a very long wait 'till my
patience ran out. Clicking on the 'Ignore' button resulted in aborting
the install.

I've tried all the boot arguments RedHat has listed at boot time plus a
couple I saw elsewhere but the error still occurs. It pops up straight
after selecting the keyboard.

My system is P4 3G, 512 Mb RAM, hda 200G (Win XP SP2 3 partitions), hdb
40G (FC2), Radeon 9800XXL video and the usual hardware. The system is a
Medion (German make/design)

Have you heard of this before? If so, what's the workaround?

TIA

Kind regards,

Graeme.