No more audio after upgrading the packages on RNH

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:18:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:29:01 +0100 (CET), Nicolas.Castagne at imag.fr
<Nicolas.Castagne at imag.fr> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> A few new infos about the problem with sound.
>
> As far as I could check it, the /etc/module.conf are identical on the two
> machines (one upgraded, no sound, the other not upgraded, no sound).
>
> The current version of the updgraded system is (uname -r)
> 2.4.21-27.0.2.EL
>
> kudzu -p detectes the sound card, with the following output :
> class: AUDIO
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> driver: i810_audio
> desc: "Intel Corp.|82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller"
> vendorId: 8086
> deviceId: 24d5
> subVendorId: 1028
> subDeviceId: 0156
> pciType: 1
> pcibus:  0
> pcidev: 1f
> pcifn:  5
>
> Now...
>
> We have just recovered sound outputs by copying the whole kernel/sound
> repertory from the old kernel version to the upgraded machines :
> % cp -r /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/kernel/sound/
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel
> (the /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel/sound did not exist).

Hi - For a complete /lib/modules/kernel-version to be missing seems
like a pretty big problem..

To me this seems a bit like you didn't have the right /usr/src/linux
link. Some programs use that link to determine where to put things or
what to build code against. If the link points to the wrong kernel
then stuff gets placed in the wrong location. Since you are using a
much older kernel here you are possibly more subject to that sort of
problem.

> Now the sound is OK... But that is no doubt a bad way of doing, and we
> would prefer to do it properly ! Any advice ?

Yes - keep working to find the right answer.

> Moreover, it seems that the alsa lib is still not runing well...
> The /proc/asound/version and /proc/asound/cards directories still do not
> exist.

This may be dependent onthe version of Alsa you are using. I am
assuming that you do have a /proc directory.  Do you?

On the other hand if Alsa didn't load then possibly that directpry is
not created.

Another sort of ugly possiblity is that your sound is coming from OSS.
Again since you are usign something older this could be happening.

> I was unable to compile, for example, the JACK audio server, because
> ./configure does not find the alsa lib in pkg-config... :

Jack will not run until Alsa runs cleanly. I use Jack all the time. It
works very well, but it does require Alsa be up and going.

- Mark