nfs mount locally exported directories in a Red HAt Cluster (v3)?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 14 19:04:16 UTC 2005

evdhn at advalvas.be wrote:
> The aliases resolve through /ets/hosts by virtue of /etc/nsswitch.conf,
> but dns knows them as well.
>
> And with lepusbb running on arneb, the two showmounts return exactly the
> same result on nihal:
>
> # showmount -e lepusbb
> Export list for lepusbb:
> /usr/local/lepus-bb                          arneb,nihal
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/server                   gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/content                  gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/sessions                 gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/course_image_main_images gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> # showmount -e arneb
> Export list for arneb:
> /usr/local/lepus-bb                          arneb,nihal
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/server                   gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/content                  gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/sessions                 gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
> /usr/local/lepus-bb/course_image_main_images gienah,albireo,sair,ruchba
>
> dns needn't know about services.  They are basically virtual hosts, that
> run on physical hosts, but can be failed over to another physical host in
> case of problems (usually hardware failure - but it can also come in handy
> when you need to upgrade the OS, or replace the physical hardware e.g. to
> something more powerful).
> To everyone and everything using the service (in this case nfs devices) a
> service is  indistinguishable from a regular host.  You can ping it, you
> can log on to it, etc.
> When the nfs service fails over to another cluster member (i.e. another
> physical host), the clients may experience a short delay (as in seconds)
> in response time, but otherwise won't notice the difference.

I really can't speak to it, then.  If a client can nfsmount via
"arneb:/share", then it should be able to mount via "lepusbb:/share"
unless there is something subtly different between hosts and services
that isn't apparent.

You said you disabled the firewall, right?  The only thing I can think
of at this point is to do a tcpdump on both the server and client and
see if the client's nfsmount requests for lepusbb are being rebuffed by
the server somehow.  You could be missing a route, I suppose (assuming
lepusbb is on a different network than arneb).
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -