VNC

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Feb 16 21:03:05 UTC 2005

> On 17:40 15 Feb 2005, roland brouwers <roland at cat.be> wrote:
> | Is there a way to start VNC, without getting the desktop of Linux, but
| direct the program you would like to execute.
>
> Sure.
> Make a short shell script
>
> 	~/.vnc/xstartup
>
> Put in it the commands you want to run. if you have that script,
vncserver
> runs _only_ that script. You're getting a full bloated desktop because
that's what vncserver runs without that script (i.e. it tries to default
to a "normal" desktop).

> See "man vncserver".

.vnc/xstartup is created by vncserver the first time you run it. Edit
~/.vnc/xstartup and comment out everything except something like this
(commented out lines are different options I've tried):

## Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
#unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#exec gnome-session
#exec gnome-wm