Upgrading FC1 to FC3 breaks X

Jon Glueckstein jglueckstein at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 03:35:25 UTC 2005

Hello listers,

Sorry to be posting Fedora questions in the Red Hat
area.

I have a Compaq Presario 2100us laptop that dual boots
XP and Fedora.  I had Fedora Core 1 working just the
way I wanted, so I figured it was time for an upgrade!

The upgrade went very smoothly.  The first thing I
tried to do was boot XP and it worked fine.  Then I
tried to boot Fedora Core 3 and it hung when it tried
to start the red hat graphical boot.

I removed the rhgb from the kernel line in Grub and
tried again.  It booted normally, all services came up
including my wireless card!  When it detected new
hardware, it found my graphics card, and I told it to
configure it.  But then when it went to the graphical
login screen, it hung in the same way.

So, this time I changed the Grub kernel line to skip
rhgb and go to runlevel 3.  Booted up fine.  I was
able to log in.  But startx caused the computer to
hang in the same way.

Right now, I'm out of ideas.  Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Jon