Upgrading FC1 to FC3 breaks X

Jon Glueckstein jglueckstein at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 14:40:29 UTC 2005

--- mylar <micros50 at computer.net> wrote:

> Yes, maybe we can help if you help us. What kind of
> system are you
> installing. What type of graphics adapter and
> moniter. Toss us some
> details man and we'll give it our best.
>

> On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 22:35, Jon Glueckstein wrote:
> > Hello listers,
> >
> > Sorry to be posting Fedora questions in the Red
> Hat
> > area.
> >
> > I have a Compaq Presario 2100us laptop that dual
> boots
> > XP and Fedora.  I had Fedora Core 1 working just
> the
> > way I wanted, so I figured it was time for an
> upgrade!
> >
> > The upgrade went very smoothly.  The first thing I
> > tried to do was boot XP and it worked fine.  Then
> > tried to boot Fedora Core 3 and it hung when it
> tried
> > to start the red hat graphical boot.
> >
> > I removed the rhgb from the kernel line in Grub
> and
> > tried again.  It booted normally, all services
> came up
> > including my wireless card!  When it detected new
> > hardware, it found my graphics card, and I told it
> > configure it.  But then when it went to the
> graphical
> > login screen, it hung in the same way.
> >
> > So, this time I changed the Grub kernel line to
> skip
> > rhgb and go to runlevel 3.  Booted up fine.  I was
> > able to log in.  But startx caused the computer to
> > hang in the same way.
> >
> > Right now, I'm out of ideas.  Can anybody help?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon

Here are some more details:

I was using Fedora Core 1.  I upgraded to Fedora Core
3 using the iso images I downloaded.  Upgraded, not
clean install.  Everything appears to work fine except
for X.

My laptop is a Compaq Presario 2100us.
Processor: Intel Celeron Processor - 1.6 GHz
Cache: 128 KB (L2)
Memory: 256 MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256 MB) at 266 MHz
Video Graphics: ATI MOBILITY RADEON AGP 4X and 3D
architecture
Video Memory: 64 MB DDR SDRAM (shared)
Display: 14.1 inch XGA TFT (1024 x 768)

Thanks,