Upgrading FC1 to FC3 breaks X

Jon Glueckstein jglueckstein at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 18:34:15 UTC 2005

--- Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > And here's the latest news.  I learned that FC3
> uses
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf for configuration.  Here is the
> > file that the Fedora install program set me up
> with:
> > # XFree86 4 configuration created by
> > redhat-config-xfree86
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> > 	Identifier     "single head configuration"
> > 	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> > 	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> > 	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > 	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Files"
> >
> > # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.
> Note,
> > this is the name of the
> > # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
>
> > There is normally
> > # no need to change the default.
> > # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
> > concatenated together)
> > # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
> > server independent of
> > # the X server to render fonts.
> > 	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
> > 	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Module"
> > 	Load  "dbe"
> > 	Load  "extmod"
> > 	Load  "fbdevhw"
> > 	Load  "glx"
> > 	Load  "record"
> > 	Load  "freetype"
> > 	Load  "type1"
> > 	Load  "dri"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >
> > # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be
> user-controlled
> > (eg, with xset(1))
> > #	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"
> > # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
> > XkbDisable.
> > #	Option	"XkbDisable"
> > # To customise the XKB settings to suit your
> keyboard,
> > modify the
> > # lines below (which are the defaults).  For
> example,
> > for a non-U.S.
> > # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
> > #	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
> > # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you
> can
> > use:
> > #	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
> > #
> > # Then to change the language, change the Layout
> > setting.
> > # For example, a german layout can be obtained
> with:
> > #	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
> > # or:
> > #	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
> > #	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
> > #
> > # If you'd like to switch the positions of your
> > capslock and
> > # control keys, use:
> > #	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
> > # Or if you just want both to be control, use:

=== message truncated ===

> Every machine I have upgraded from FC1 to FC2 (and,
therefore, FC3)
> has required that I manually run
system-config-display.  You might
> also need to run system-config-mouse, not
necessarily in that order.

> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems,
Inc.
> robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
> The best home improvement manual is the Bible.

Bob,

I did not know of those scripts.  Thanks for making me
aware of them.

I booted into runlevel 3 and ran system-config-mouse.
It ran in text mode and I was able to make a
selection.  My mouse is active in text mode.  However,
that did not fix the problem with X hanging when I try
to get into graphical mode.

I also ran system-config-display, which gave me the
following output:
=================================
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py",
line 27, in ?
    import xf86config
ImportError: No module named xf86config

I think that means I'm missing a python module called
xf86config?

Thanks,
Jon