Upgrading FC1 to FC3 breaks X

Jon Glueckstein jglueckstein at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 12:54:27 UTC 2005

--- Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 20 February 2005 20:32, Bob McClure Jr
> wrote:
> > > I booted into runlevel 3 and ran
> system-config-mouse.
> > > It ran in text mode and I was able to make a
> > > selection.  My mouse is active in text mode.
> However,
> > > that did not fix the problem with X hanging when
> I try
> > > to get into graphical mode.
> > >
> > > I also ran system-config-display, which gave me
> the
> > > following output:
> > > =================================
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File
> "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py",
> > > line 27, in ?
> > >     import xf86config
> > > ImportError: No module named xf86config
> > > =================================
> > >
> > > I think that means I'm missing a python module
> called
> > > xf86config?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jon
> >
> > I suppose so.  But I'm not a python wonk, so I'll
> have to pass the
> > baton to someone else.
> so, this was an upgrade, not a reinstall, correct?
> the python "xf86config" module is provided by the
> pyxf86config package.
> Try installing that (or at least looking for it on
> your system with rpm -q)
> and then see how you get on with the config tools.
> you could install it either directly from your CDs,
> or if this is a pain and
> you have functional internet, by typing
> [root at behemoth ~]# yum install pyxf86config
> and see how you get on.
> once you can actually get system-config-display
> working, try running it as
> [root at behemoth ~]# system-config-display --reconfig
> to ignore your existing xorg.conf and start from
> scratch.
> incidentally, what are the error lines in your xorg
> logs?
> [root at behemoth ~]# grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> they may shed some light on the issue you are
> currently having
>
> A final option...
> Based on the xorg.conf that you posted, it seems
> that your system is
> configured to use bog-standard SVGA (the Driver
> "vesa" line tells me this).
> you may wish to change this to use "ati" for your
> ati card (if that is still
> the name of the driver. Can't see why they'd change
> it, mind you)
>
> I have to say (justified or not) that I have not
> heard good things about
> upgrades between versions of Fedora Core - a clean
> reinstall usually seems to
> be the recommended approach. For this reason it
> makes sense to keep
> your /home directory as a separate filesystem (or
> make very regular backups)
>
> Stuart
> --
> Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP
> [...]
Stuart,

Thanks for your reply.  Lots of things for me to try.
I'll let you know what happens.

I'm thinking about what you said about a clean
reinstall.  I did a complete system backup using mondo
rescue before I started the upgrade.  It shouldn't be
much of a problem to reinstall the /home filespace.

However, it can't be as easy as that, can it?  What
about the passwd file?  The mail spools?  The
installed packages that didn't come with the
distribution?  Am I correct in assuming that these
would also need to be reinstalled, along with 100
other things that don't come right to mind?  How do
you all deal with things like that when doing a clean
reinstall?

Thanks,
Jon