Fedore Core 3 hangs on install

Carl Reynolds redhat-install-list at hyperbole-software.com
Mon Feb 21 20:21:20 UTC 2005

I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 on an AMD 2800 64 with 512MB RAM
and 112GB HD. The Hardrive is a WesternDigital WD1200JD-00H SATA drive.
I am using a Giga-Byte mother board with a ViA on board chip set. There
is a video controller built in to the chip set and that is what I'm
using as video output.

When I start the installation process the installer hangs with an
X-Server failure almost as soon as I select Graphical Install.

I performed the installation in text mode using 'linux text xfs' to
start the install.

Now that the installation is complete, the machine hangs on re-boot on a
blank screen with the words "Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'" at the
top of the screen and several seemingly randomly placed dots on the
screen below it.

The CDs for the install are for x86-64.

Does anyone know what the problem is here and how I can get around it?

Thanks,

Carl.