Swapping Motherboards?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Tue Feb 22 16:52:29 UTC 2005

In anticipation of my server eventually dying, I'm trying to come up with
a way to have almost zero down time. The machine has two removable drives.
One holds /home . The other holds everything else. I'm thinking of using
Norton Ghost to duplicate these drives. Then, should I lose a drive, I
just plug in my backup.

The next trick is, if I lose the motherboard or power supply, I move the
drives from the dead machine to a live machine. The motherboard in the
existing server is no longer in production and getting expensive (Tyan
Tiger 200). How much trouble am I likely to have if the motherboard is not
an exact duplicate of the one I'm running now when I move drives?

THANKS!

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com