RHEL 4 Update problem

Scott Becker scottb at bxwa.com
Tue Feb 22 22:45:03 UTC 2005

Thanks for the feedback. All my partitions are on the one raid volume.
After seeing a simular problem in bugzilla, #149184, I booted linux
rescue and looked everything over, didn't see anything wrong, so I ran
'grub-install /dev/i2o/hda' and now it works fine. It's my understanding
that you're not supposed to have to run this just because you changed
the kernel, but for some reason it was necessary. The changelog for grub
shows a patch for the i2o_block driver which is new an now needed for
the adaptec. The i2o_block maintainer is aware of the problem.

I'm not sure about the state of RHEL 4 in general, it refused to install
successfully on my sata drive at home (failing various ways depending on
the configuration). I was happy to see 4 released because I was just
starting to setup a new machine for our main web site and the new kernel
should take better advantage of dual hyperthreaded cpus (four virtuals
total). However I'm a bit nervous about updates breaking it. A few weeks
ago an update to RHEL 3 killed DNS on another server, requiring me to
run 'chkconfig named on' to get it back in action (it took two days
before I realized why I could no longer run up2date).

    thanks again
    scottb