Upgrading Kernel in RHAS 2.4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 24 18:06:59 UTC 2005

Tech Guy wrote:
> Darin,
>
> Thank you very much. That was a good one indeed.
> Actually I was suggested to use just the RPM without the source. Do I
> need to have valid registration with Redhat to download RPM's ?
> I have these packages currently installed on my server
> kernel-2.4.9-e.3
> kernel-smp-2.4.9-e.3
> kernel-enterprise-2.4.9-e.3
> kernel-headers-2.4.9-e.3
>
> In order to upgrade the kernel to "kernel-2.4.9-e.49". Do I need to
> install all these packages with higher version ?
> Do I need to take any precaution before I upgrade the kernel like any
> backup of the important files ?
>
> I am sorry as you may find this very basic.
>
> I appreciate if someone can help me on this.

First off, There never was an Advanced Server 2.4.  Red Hat offers
the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) product line, currently in three
versions, RHEL2.1, RHEL3 and (just recently) RHEL4.  In each of those
versions exist four products, ES (Enhanced Server), AS (Advanced
Server), WS (WorkStation) and DT (DeskTop).  AS is the most expensive
variant and you really don't need it unless you're running a server that
has quad processors or over 4GB of RAM.  For 90% of people, ES is more
than adequate.

You have AS2.1 (Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1).  While it runs the
2.4.9-e.3enterprise kernel, that is not the product name.  AS2.1 is also
REAL near the end of its product lifetime.  I would expect Red Hat to
stop supporting it sometime in the next 6 months.  That means upgrading
to some product in the RHEL3 or RHEL4 line (I'd recommend ES3).

Now, any RHEL (that's ES, AS, WS and DT) requires a valid Red Hat
Network "entitlement" (gads I hate that term) to update your system.
You get a one-year update entitlement with the purchase price of any
RHEL product.

They do make the source RPMs available for anyone, but in your case
you'd need to download the kernel source RPM, build the new kernel and
install it.  This is not difficult, but you need to do it a couple of
times to get comfortable doing it.  You can make a mistake that renders
your machine unusable.

Since you're a newbie and can't afford downtime, I would not recommend
that you try this.  It would be better for you to pay Red Hat for the
entitlement and use up2date to update your system.  If you're not
willing to do that, then you'll have to learn how to build kernels and
suffer the downtime if it doesn't work.

P.S.:  We prefer bottom posting on this list.  I believe I've told you
this before.
-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -