Kickstart install on AS4?

Simon Hargrave redhat at stuffandting.com
Mon Feb 28 10:33:12 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm having problems running a Kickstart installation on AS4 (on a HP DL360
server).  The symptoms are: -

1) If I boot from CD and specify a Kickstart file on an NFS share as in: -

linux ks=nfs:server:/share/kickstart.file

It attempts to get a DHCP address (and fails as there isn't a server).  So
it prompts for network details, which I provide, and it fails with the
following: -

tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
loader: failed to set default route: Network is unreachable

The server at this point is not pingable from anywhere (local segment or
otherwise).  The tg3 messages suggest the NIC is up, however it's odd that
it can't ping, and the default route message is bizaare!

2) If I boot again from CD but don't specify a Kickstart file, again it
tries DHCP, then asks for details.  However this time it establishes the
LAN correctly.  I can ping it from either the local segment or any other
subnet.  This is with providing exactly the same details as before.

3) The Kickstart boot works fine with an AS3 CD, which we have been doing
for some time.

What is the difference in the way the NIC is booted up in scenario 1) as
opposed to scenario 2) that would cause it to fail?

Thanks,

Sy