Old RH books for new RH system user

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 28 18:32:37 UTC 2005

peter at mycorp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am just looking for a good book about Linux, second hand something from
> ebay.co.uk.
> I want something about using command line I mean linux administration from the
> shell only. I am good in windows but it's only cuz I knew DOS from the
> beggining. Now I want to learn same about Linux, how to comfigure files, what
> file is for what etc.
> My question is :
> Is book for ie Redhat 6 or 8 a good startpoint even if I am using RedHat
> enterprise on my computer, Redhat 9 on my VPS and ClarkConnect on my home
> server.

The command set for any Linux is similar.  Later releases have more
commands and/or the options for the commands grow or change, but once
you've got it, you've got it.

O'Reilly and Associates has a number of really, really good books.  I
recommend "Essential System Administration" and it's companion "Pocket
Reference".  Also, "Linux in a Nutshell" is excellent.  Visit their
Linux/Unix product page:

	http://www.ora.com

You can also look at RedHat's user guides on-line:

	http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

-                 Dyslexics of the world: UNTIE!                     -