mgetty+sendfax?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 00:32:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:59:59PM +0000, Tony Dietrich wrote:
> On Monday 03 Jan 2005 19:34, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 10:38:00AM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> > > THANKS! I'll check out the links. On updating the machine... I have FC3,
> > > but have been hesitant to do the update for fear something might break in
> > > the process. I've revised a lot of config files, and some of them might
> > > not work with later versions (I seem to recall an Apache upgrade where I
> > > had to rewrite the config files). I'll try to give it a try in the near
> > > future, though. I'll probably do a Norton Ghost image of the drives so I
> > > can get back to where I am if things don't work out. Even that requires
> > > taking the machine off line, which I don't like doing...
> >
> > That's why I set up my disks with two partitions suitable for /boot,
> > and two for /.  Then I copy the existing /boot and / to the
> > alternates, modify the /etc/fstab and mountpoints as required, and
> > then upgrade the copy.  If something is hosed, my old system is
> > waiting for me in the original /boot and /.  Jolly well essential for
> > my production machines.
> >
> > Cheers,
> Bob
>
> I remember you once posting a URL for your recommended partition setup.
>
> Any chance you can either post it here again or email it to me please?

Alas, I find it is a bit dated and I must revise it Real Soon Now, but
look at

http://www.bobcatos.com/upgrading.html

The second paragraph contains the link to the description of partition
duplication.  As I mentioned, it is dated in that it describes only
the root (/) partition and not the separate /boot part.  Also, it
describes handling LILO and not GRUB.  I'll revise it as soon as I get
one of those round things - a "tuit", I think.

These days I don't try to make an alternate stanza in grub.conf for
the old partition, mostly because I've not been successful in crafting
one that works.  When I upgrade, I just tell it to construct a new
grub.conf.  If the upgrade fails for some obscure (and thanfully,
rare) reason, booting to your old partition will still work, since
rewriting the MBR is the last thing done.  Besides, I want the
grub.conf in the new partition to control things, not the one in the
old one.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything more.

> --
> Tony Dietrich
> In Brooklyn, we had such great pennant races, it made the World Series
> just something that came later.
>   -- Walter O'Malley, Dodgers owner

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com