FC3 downloads

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 5 23:50:52 UTC 2005

othman El Moulat wrote:
> Hi Linux Experts :)
>
> well after using RH9 for a certain period it seems there are points that
> suggests me to move on to FC3...I'm looking forward to download it since (if
> I'm not wrong!) it's freely available on the NET...
> there are some points that i should make clear : I don't have a CD burner but
> i do have a fast internet connection (ADSL 128k)...
>
> will it be possible for me to download Fedora core 3 and be able to install it
> without headaches troubleshouting?

Oh, hmmm.  No CD burner.  That's a problem.  The 2.6 kernel is too big
to fit on a floppy.  If you have a friend with a burner, then I'd ask
him/her to burn copies for you as a CD or DVD install is the easiest.

If that's not feasible and if your BIOS supports booting from a USB
drive such as a pen drive or jump drive, there is an image you can copy
to it.  Go to one of the mirror sites listed here:

	http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

and go to the directory for your architecture, then to the "os"
directory, then to the "images" directory. For example, this will take
you to the right spot in the web-ster mirror site:

	http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/3/i386/os/images/

In that directory, you'll see a file called "diskboot.img".  Download
that file.  Insert your jumpdrive and make SURE it isn't mounted
(unmount it if it automounts).  Then do this command:

	dd if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sda bs=512

Replace "/dev/sda" with the actual device name of your jump drive.  Note
that this will overwrite EVERYTHING on the jumpdrive.

The jumpdrive is now a bootable installation media.  Boot off it and do
a network install from the mirror site.  Again, if you're using the
web-ster site, the correct URL for the install is:

	http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/3/i386/iso/

Don't forget to update the system ASAP by using "yum -y update" as the
root user.

> where can i find it on the net? and what do you advise me in my particular
> situation?

It's all over the place.  This URL shows the various mirrors:

	http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html