kernal panic

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 7 19:08:21 UTC 2005

tariq samsudeen wrote:
> hi,
> im currently have a running system(Fedora 2) with kernel:
> "kernel-smp-2.4.22_1.2115.nptl.i686". i hv installed
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.3_FC2.i686 using "rpm -ivh
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.3_FC2.i686.rpm"...after installing the new kernel,
> i see it in the grub bootloader list, but whn i select the new kernel
> i get the following error:
>
> VFS: cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block(0,0)
> please append a correct "root=" boot option
> kernel panic not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0,0)
>
> i cud still use my old kernel....

You never could run FC2 with a 2.4 kernel...it didn't come with one, it
came with a 2.6 kernel (2.6.8-1.521).

You didn't say how you installed the new kernel, but that error is
normally caused because you didn't build a new initrd or didn't specify
it in your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.  We need to see the contents of
your /boot directory and the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
- ...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror -
-                      and you'd be on your own, pal!                -