remote jetdirect printing

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 10 22:13:52 UTC 2005

chuck lawrence wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure a print server, I guess.  I've got a collection
> of *nix boxes and some hp jetdirect printers.
>
> I can add a jetdirect printer to my rhe 3 server, either with the cups
> tool or printconf - that works great.  with printconf, I get the ability
> to "share" the printer, either to "all hosts" or to a list.
>
> so if I share the printer, and then try to print from another host,
> nothing happens - no obvious errors, nothing to suggest that my original
> host has even received a request to process a print job.
>
> clearly, I'm missing something.  can this be done the way I'm trying to
> do it?

Depends on how you're exporting the queue.  There are two methods
really:  the old Line Printer Daemon (lpd) on TCP/UDP port 515 or
the new Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) on TCP/UDP port 631.  IPP is
the preferred method now.

You must make sure that you have your firewall open for whichever
protocol you're using.  Once you've done that, go to the clients and
either reboot them or restart the print queues.  If they're a Red Hatish
linux, use printconf for them and check the "Browsed Queues" section.
You should see the queues from the server machine there.
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -