remove old kernel

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 17:56:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:46:16AM -0800, Asmir Murselovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just updated the kernel for FC2.
> What should I do with the old one?

After you're certain that nothing is broken, you can remove it.  For
instance when I upgraded from kernel-2.6.8-1.521 to
kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2, my IDE tape drive no longer worked.  So I
reverted to the older kernel.

> Is it safe to remove it,

Yes, if it's not the currently running kernel.

> and how do I do that.

As root, look to see what kernels you have.

  rpm -q kernel

Verify you are running the later kernel:

  uname -r

Then remove the old kernel by including the version.  For instance,
had my upgrade been good, I would have

  rpm -e kernel-2.6.8-1.521

> Thank you,
> Asmir