Kill the Mailman?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 21 17:22:21 UTC 2005

David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 05:42:06AM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>
>>I'm running RH8. The machine seems to spend a lot of time running mailman,
>>but I'm not running any mailing lists. Some loge output is below. I can't
>>figure out how to get rid of the cron jobs that are running it. I don't
>>see anything in root's crontab, and if I try to su to mailman, I get no
>>such user. So...  How do I kill the mailman?
>

> Try:
>
> # rpm -e mailman
>
> Odds are you'll also want to look in /var/log and delete the (probably complex)
> mailman tree you'll find in there.

If you don't want to delete mailman but just stop it from running, check
for files related to it by doing an "ls /etc/cron*" (those are system
crontabs run by anacron).  Odds are you'll find a script.  Just delete
it.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity...if you're not running mailing lists,
why did you install mailman in the first place?
-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -