Starting ADSL connexion automatically

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 23:32:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:12:46PM +0000, othman El Moulat wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I'm still new to the Linux world so be patient with a newbie :-)
>
> I have an ADSL internet connexion configured for my RH9 system and it's
> working fine. when i log on to my system i issue the two following commands
> to start my connexion:
>
>                  #eaglectrl -d
>                  #startadsl
> I wonder if there is a way that my connexion could be started automatically
> when i log on, without having to type these two commands every time.
>
> thanks for all .
>
> othman.

You could make a script:
----------- 8< snip -----------------
#!/bin/sh
eaglectrl -d
startadsl
----------- 8< snip -----------------

and put in, say, /usr/local/sbin/connectme.  Don't forget to

  chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/connectme

Then you can make it executable from sudo by making this entry in
/etc/sudoers (assuming your login is "othman"):

othman   ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/local/sbin/connectme

Then you can start it up as your mere-mortal self using:

  sudo /usr/local/sbin/connectme

Now, you can put that line in whatever script is involved with your
logging in, possibly ~/.bash_profile, or your window manager startup
script.

That said, if you have a decent firewall running on your machine,
there's little reason not to start up the connection when you boot and
leave it up.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Wise men still seek Him.