HP Office Jet All-in-One scanning

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 26 18:34:50 UTC 2005

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:52:53AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>   I was looking for an inexpensive scanner to use under Linux.
>>Unfortunately every single one at Fry's for less than $100 is not
>>currently supported by Sane. Too bad...
>>
>>   Then I started looking at the HP All-in-One printer/scanner/copier
>>boxes and found that there is a different set of drivers for using
>>these devices:
>>
>>http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>Apparently it's managed by HP themselves which is cool.
>>
>>   Does anyone here have any direct experience with this set of
>>drivers and how well it works?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mark
>

> I have an HP T65, and my wife had a K80.  The T65 has worked fine for
> printing and scanning.  The problem with both of them is that they
> have both developed a bad pixel in the scanner so that there is always
> a fine line through the picture.  I haven't checked repair cost, but I
> imagine it's pretty breath-taking.
>
> The all-in-ones are nice for saving desk space, but when one part of
> it goes bad, it's tougher to decide whether to fix it, buy a
> replacement for that function, or buy a whole new unit.  Guess it
> depends on how much desk space you have.
>
> We don't buy HP stuff anymore.  Sue has a nice Epson flat-bed scanner
> and an Epson ink-jet printer.  The K80 is kept for incoming and
> outgoing faxes.

Heheheh!  I use the Canon for scanning, a Lexmark Z53 for printing and a
Zoom faxmodem for faxing.  So I suppose my machine is an "all-in-one".

Nice thing about the faxmodem...I can preview the faxes before
committing to paper.  Darned good thing, too, as 80% of the stuff I get
is crap.  I've gotten two "fax spammers" prosecuted because of that!  I
asked them to take me off their lists nicely three times.  After that, I
handed everything over to the D.A. (logs are SO handy for this) and he
popped them.  I think the fines were $200K and $400K.

"You don't step on Superman's cape.  You don't spit into the wind.  You
don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger, and you don't junkfax
Rick."                                 -- With appologies to Jim Croce
-  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.  -
-                                                -- Chuck Yeager     -