How to set quotas for a user within "/" partition on RH9?

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Thu Jan 27 19:08:54 UTC 2005

Firstly, put the option "usrquota" into /etc/fstab line for root
filesystem. This option should be placed into fourth field of that line.
You may add also option "grpquota" if you want to use options for
groups. Presence of this option will tell the iniscripts that disk
quotas should be turned for that partition during system startup.
Then run the calculation of current usage of disk by the users:
quotacheck -acvug
This program will try to remount root filesystem in read-only mode.
Therefore you should not have any files open for writing at that time.
Most probably you will have such files and will need to add option -m
when run quotacheck. In that case calculation of disk usage will be donw
on read-write filesystem (however, sizes of files written during the
process of usage calculation may be incorrecly calculated for quota
ourposes).
Then turn the quotas on:
quotaon -avug
At this time you can manage user and group quotas with 'edquota'.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com

After that