Did setting up Samba/firewall cause networking not to work after powerdown?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:06:50 UTC 2005

Hi,
   After all the help I got yesterday I feel bad coming back to the
well so quickly but the machine worked fine all of last evening and
was then powered down. This morning it doesn't connect to the wireless
router. Since it's not on the network I cannot send the output of
command very easily but so far I note that:

1) If I do a route command dragonfly hangs after the first two lines
and doesn't give me the default route for about 30 seconds. If I do
route -n it gives it to me immediately.

2) The Netgear router shows the MAC address of dragonfly as attached.

3) dragonfly cannot ping the Netgear router.

4) If I run iwlist wlan0 scanning from dragonfly I see the router. The
MAC address and ESSID (and everything else) looks pretty normal.
Signal strength does look a little lower than usual. Possibly this is
part of the issue.

5) If I run chkconfig --del iptables and reboot then it still doesn't
work but the iptables modules are loaded into memory and iptables -L
tells me the firewall is stopped.

   dragonfly was built about 2 weeks ago and has been wireless since
it went live. Yesterday's work was the only significant configuration
changes I've made but there have been up2date updates going on as
recently as yesterday.

   Thanks in advance for any ideas.

- Mark