faint X screen

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 28 19:05:30 UTC 2005

Tapas Ranjan wrote:
> Hi :
> 	Though it is not a linux problem, but I thought to post it. Just
> two hours ago, my laptop screen got fainted. I can hardly see anything
> on the X. Somehow I manage to reboot it and found the same thing in
> Windows partition as well. The screen has almost no light in it even
> though there is plug-power.
> 	My first thought why this happened is probably because I watched
> DVD continously for few hours which broke some of the hardware inside.:(
> Any suggestion.

It happens.  Sounds like the backlight on your screen pooped out and
what you can see is only with the aid of reflected light.  There's not
much you can do beyond doing a complete reset of the BIOS.  If the
backlight did die, then getting it repaired can cost a lot of money
if the machine isn't under warranty.  It's often cheaper to chuck the
machine and get a new one.  I had one once that would cost $500 US to
repair, but a replacement machine was $1200.  I went with the new
machine (was faster and had more RAM, to boot).
-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -