GTKAM Help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 6 06:02:58 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I've got a new digital camera (Pentax) and have been using GTKAM
> to process from my old camera.  I'd rather not have to compile
> the new version of GTKAM (installed from RPM) but the new
> libgphoto2 file has the drivers for my new camera (or close
> enough I hope).  Can I install just the new libgphoto files or do
> I need to install the whole thing to get it to work?

Is there a binary RPM for your distribution (I forget which one you're
on, Brad).

> Now for the next question(s):
>
> 1 - if I can just upgrade libgphoto - how do I do it so I'm sure
> it doesn't (a) leave both copies there and (b) mess everything
> up.

An rpm update (rpm -Fvh or rpm -Uvh) should replace the old one with
the new one.

> 2 - If I need to install from scratch what should I do (remove
> the old version (rpm -e) and install or what?  I seem to have
> problems when I have to compile a program to get it installed.

You rarely need rpm -e if you do an update (-Fvh or -Uvh).  If
you do use -e, then you'll need to do an install of the new version
(rpm -ivh), since there's nothing to update any longer.
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -