Bringing up new server

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 17:14:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:53:22AM -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I'm about to bring up a backup server. The current one is running RH8. I'm
> thinking of doing an install of RH8 on the new one, copying content from
> the old to the new, then updating the new to FC4. Does this seem like an
> appropriate approach? What should I copy from the old to the new?
>
> THANKS!
>
> Harold

I don't think I'd install RH8 on the new machine.  I'd use rescue mode
on the FC4 CD to

- build the partitions like I want them
- cpio over the world from the old machine
- adjust /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf, if necessary
- chroot to /mnt/sysimage and run "grub-install /dev/hda" (or whatever
  your boot drive is)
- boot the new machine to single user to verify that everything is
  kosher
- upgrade the new machine to FC4.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com