mail relay

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 8 20:50:56 UTC 2005

ajay wrote:

> i have one more major querry, may sound funny.
>
> i have redhat 9.0 server , mails are being relayed smoothly.
>
> it's pitty on me , i do not how , how it's being done , by smtp or mx
> records. i am using sendmail.
>
> so pls. tell me how can i confirm this , which file should i check and
> where in , what papameter is responsible for it.

If they're being relayed by the RH9 box, then either the box is wrongly
configured as an open relay (bad, bad, bad!) or you have entries in
/etc/mail/access that specify what can be relayed and what can't.

An MX record in DNS only says which machine is responsible for handling
mail for that domain--it does NOT specify any relay information at all
(although you can configure sendmail to permit relays if the MX record
specifies that machine as the mail destination).
-   Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.  -