Is redhat 9.0 kernel fully aware of hyperthreading?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jul 11 16:13:16 UTC 2005

RamaRao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed redhat 9.0 on my PC that has intel pentium-4 with HT
> (hyper threading). Does this (redhat 9.0) kernel supports Hyper
> threading. The 2.5-31 kernel is made fully aware of HT. Do any patches
> come into 2.4-20 kernel of Redhat 9.0?

2.4 kernels don't really make use of HT except by treating the
chips as multiple CPUs.

The 2.4 kernels for RH9 (there was no 9.0, just 9) are patched quite
a bit when compared to the stock kernel.org 2.4.20 kernel.  However,
the HT bit really isn't there in the first place.  Later 2.4 kernels
do have NPTL (native Posix-Thread logic), but they don't do HT.

You really should stop using RH9.  It was end-of-lifed two years
ago.  Move to FC2, FC3 or FC4 (2.6 kernels that _can_ do HT).
-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -