FC2 to FC3 or FC4 upgrade

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 23:07:02 UTC 2005

On 7/11/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > FYI all - I have been unable to move forward with this due to none of
> > the CD passing the media test portion of the install. CD #1 boots fine
> > and is happy to start the install if I let it, but the CDs themselves
> > all fail the test media option I'm given at the beginning of the
> > install.
> >
> > I'm currently researching other ways to burn the CDs. I normally use
> > k3b to do this. I'm sure it can be done at the command line also.
>
> First, do an md5sum on the ISO images themselves and verify they got
> downloaded correctly.  The command to burn a CD on a 2.4 kernel
> (RH7.2-9, FC1) is:
<SNIP>

Rick & Bob,
   Thanks for your responses. After burning no less than 10 coasters I
found new media which worked. Using k3b I had no problem burning at
16x. The media was created and the update went fine. I'm now writing
from the machine booted into FC4.

   That's not to say I'm happy with the update. Unfortunately it
appears that the update completely hosed all of my Gnome panels and
menus. I now have a blank panel with no way to even log out of Gnome!
Pretty bad choices the system made there.

   One thing that's a bit strange about this problem is that the 'Add
to Panel' function obtained by right clicking the panel still has all
of my previous menu items, etc. It's just that Gnome is not displaying
the basic operations button normally in the bottom right.

   Does anyone know how to fix this? Without menus I'd say Gnome is
pretty much not useful.

Cheers,
Mark