sysctl.conf

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Thu Jul 14 01:08:21 UTC 2005

Is there a document that describes all the parameters and there values
that can be put in the sysctl.conf file. The man page says see
/proc/sys, but you still have to figure out what valid values would be
for each. And some I have no idea what they really control. I am moving
an Application from UNIX to Linux and had kernel parameter requirements
that had to be set in UNIX for the application to run correctly. Things
like:

NPROC                   Maximum number of processes the system can have
at once.
MAXUPROC                Maximum number of processes that a non-super
user can have at once.
MAXFILES                Default number of file descriptors a process is
allowed to have at once.
NFILES                  The maximum number of open files for the entire
system.

I know some of these may not even exist in Linux as a tunable parameter
or have a higher value than the application requires, but it would be
nice to know what they are also.

Jackson C. Allen
McKesson Information Solutions
5995 Windward Parkway
Alpharetta, GA 30005
(404) 338-2023
 <mailto:Jack.Allen at McKesson.com> Jack.Allen at McKesson.com

copies of the original message.