trouble installing/running the Domain Name Service Configuration Tool

Ed McCorduck MCCORDUC at cortland.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:15:36 UTC 2005

Hello, I have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, Update 1, installed on my
computer. Included in my configuration is Berkeley Internet Name Domain
(BIND). which I had installed from my RHEL 4 installation CDs. With BIND
on my system, I assumed that I could run the Domain Name Service
Configuration Tool as described on the printed page 181 of the _Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4 Reference Guide_. However, after entering the given
command redhat-config-bind at a shell prompt, I got the response

bash: redhat-config-bind: command not found

Seeing no way to install the Domain Name Service Configuration Tool
under System Settings > Add/Remove Applications on my system, I went to
the Red Hat public FTP site
ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS to try to
locate this package but I did not see it listed under this directory. I
therefore backtracked and tried the directory
ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/os/i386/SRPMS where I
did find the package "redhat-config-bind-2.0.0-14.src.rpm."  I
downloaded this file to a directory on my computer and I installed and
attempted to run it, with the following results:

[root at edshpvec RHEL3]# dir
redhat-config-bind-2.0.0-14.src.rpm  redhat-config-
samba-1.0.16-1.src.rpm redhat-config-httpd-1.1.0-4.src.rpm
[root at edshpvec RHEL3]# rpm -ivh redhat-config- bind-2.0.0-14.src.rpm
   1:redhat-config-bind
########################################### [100%] [root at edshpvec
RHEL3]# redhat-config-bind
bash: redhat-config-bind: command not found

Hence, this package does not run for me and I do not know how to make it
run. I would appreciate your help in properly installing and/or running
this application. Thank you in advance.

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
Ed.McCorduck at Cortland.edu
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
ICQ: http://mccorduck.cortland.edu/pager
AIM: EdMcCorduck