error in scp - fixed. httpd config menu?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Fri Jul 15 14:22:38 UTC 2005

> Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I'm using scp to copy the /home directory from my old server to the new
>> one. It runs fine for a while, then I get this error:
>>
>> scp: /home/harold/public_html/FCC/FccRules/CiteFind/0001
>> protocol error: expected control record
>>
>> The command I'm running is:
>> scp -r 192.168.1.8:/home /home
>>
>> What can I do to reliably get this copied over?
>
> Hmmmm, that's interesting.  Have you done an "ls -la" and an "lsattr"
> on that file?  Is it a regular or special file (e.g. pipe/fifo or
> device)?  I suspect it's a special file, and scp can't deal with
> those (nor can most copy utilities).
>
> You really should look at using rsync to synchronize your systems.
> That's what it was designed for and it knows how to deal with special
> files, symlinks and the like.

rsync worked great! Thanks!

Next problem... I've never been able to get the menu driven httpd config
in RH8 to work. I'm now trying it on FC4. I've only messed with it a bit,
but it LOOKS like when I set up named virtural hosts, they work, but my
default page shows up as an error page saying I need to request it with
https. I have not (yet) enabled https on anything. On RH8, I finally went
in and edited the config files myself. Is there documentation on this menu
driven congif editor? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Time to start
editing it by hand?

THANKS!

Harold

--