Sending and receiving mail in linux

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sat Jul 16 22:39:38 UTC 2005

Greetings drumil,

> Thanx Kostas,
>
> I want to configure for a network and yes its static
> IP

Since you have a static IP i assume you have also a domain name
for example mydomain.com
You have to ask the person who is responsible for you DNS to
update the Resource Record of your domain in order for it to
have an MX Record , so ppl outside your local network ( even your
home computer ) will now if they want to send an email to mydomain.com
who they have to contact .

Let's assume that you are using sendmail  and the following graph
                Internet

A ----------> B < -------- D
                    ^                |

C ------------  ----------> E

Now in the above graph A, C , D , E  is your LAN
B is the computer that is going to sent email to
the Internet .

Now , you have to do the following
For the computers A,C,D,E
go to the file  /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
there you will find a line saying

define SMARTHOST('The Address of B goes here ' )dnl;

Then after changing the above line you will have to rebuild
sendmail.cf in order to reflect the change you made and restart
sendmail .

The above line means that they have to sent the email to
computer B if it is to be sent to the Internet  .

After that you will have to go to computer B .
Go to the directory  /etc/mail

Find the file access

In this file you have to put a line which will say

 From : *.mydomain.com   OK

Again for the computer B

In the /etc/mail directory you will have to find the

sendmail.mc  file and open it
in there you will have to add or uncomment the line which says :

FEATURE('access_db')

after you change the sendmail.mc file you will have to rebuild it
and restart sendmail .

Kind Regards,
     Kostas