tape listing

ajay ajay197947 at rediffmail.com
Mon Jul 18 07:44:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 gerrynix wrote :

> > > hi gurus
> > >
> > > i try to list my tape hp 40gb (under compression)

> > > [root at tivimtech ajay]# tar vft /dev/st0
> > > tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> > > tar: Skipping to next header
> > > tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

> > > it do not list anything and gives this error and comes out.
> > > is there any way i can mount it, if yes what is mount type ?
> > >
> > > i use this command to backup:
> > > i am very sure it does backup as i checked date against backup.log
> > > it changes everyday and shows latest date time as supposed.
> > >
> > > # Daily Backup on the Dat
> > > tar cvfz /dev/st0 /home /data /etc /var/spool/mail /var/www
> > >  >/var/log/backup.log &
> > >
> > > It is scheduled in cron.
> > >
> > > here is some part of this log.....
> > >
> > > UW PICO(tm) 4.2                    File: /var/log/backup.log
> > >

> > > home/
> > > home/niteen/
> > > home/niteen/.bash_history
> > > home/niteen/.addressbook
> > > home/niteen/.addressbook.lu
> > > home/niteen/.bash_logout
> > > home/niteen/.bash_profile
> > > home/niteen/.bashrc
> > > home/niteen/.canna
> > > home/niteen/.emacs
> > > home/niteen/.esd_auth
> > > home/niteen/.fetchmailrc
> > > home/niteen/.fonts.cache-1
> > > home/niteen/.gtkrc
> > > home/niteen/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
> > > home/niteen/.ICEauthority
> > > home/niteen/.mailboxlist
> > > home/niteen/.pinerc
> > > home/niteen/.recently-used
> > > home/niteen/.rhn-applet.conf
> > > home/niteen/.viminfo

> > > I am confussed why it says "This does not look like a tar archive" ??
> > >

> > > help me from this dilemma !!!
> >
> > Did you rewind the tape before trying to list its contents?
> >
> > 	# mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
> > 	# tar tvf /dev/st0
>

>Looking at your command . . . You have used the "z" option to
>gzip your backup. Man page says to also use the z option to
>to view/extract . . . Try:
>
>         # tar tzvf /dev/st0

thanks a lot it "tar tzvf /dev/st0" solved my problem.
Actually i was missing "z" as i have compressed archive.

thanks.

i have one or more query :

1.  How can i check how much tape has been written and how much is free?

2.  Once i know free space of tape, how can i access how much data i can add more?

i mean suppose 100MB  is free  and i use compression "z" option to back
up, what should estimate about further addition?
I may simply ask about compression ratio  ?

thanks and regards

ajay