Spell Check

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jul 18 16:48:46 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>>I upgraded my version of Pine to 4.62 and now my spell check
>>>doesn't work.  I get a message that says "/usr/bin/spell" (or
>>>aspell when I change it to that).  Any help out there?
>>
>>That's all it says?  What a useful error message!  :-/  Did you verify
>>that you have spell or aspell installed (btw, spell is a shell script
>>that runs aspell with certain options and sorts the output).
>

> Sorry about that it says
>
> 	Spell-Checking file "/usr/bin/spell" not found
>
> The I was wrong about when I put the speller in as
> "/usr/bin/aspell"  It says
>
> Alternate speller terminated abnormally (1)
>
> I did some checking and "/usr/bin/spell" is not on my computer
>
> Also, in Pine if you leave the alternate speller line blank it
> calls the "/usr/bin/spell" program.

/usr/bin/spell is a shell script that wrappers aspell, since aspell
works just a bit differently.  The content of /usr/bin/spell is:

	#!/bin/sh
	# aspell -l mimicks the standard unix spell program, roughly.
	cat "$@" | aspell -l --mode=none | sort -u
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -