squid

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 29 16:00:34 UTC 2005

Smith, Albert wrote:
> I would not put sqiod cache on a RAID-5 device as it may slow down your
> caching.
>
> Your best bet if you need redundancy with a hotspare would be to put it
> in a raid 10 solution if you don't need the hotspare then use a raid 1

Bottom post, guys, bottom post please.

Yes, putting the cache on RAID5 slows it down.  It's kind of silly to
put the cache on RAID of any kind as it's transient in nature and you
can use your RAID for much better (and appropriate) things.

You can think of the cache in the same way as the swap drive (if you
use a separate drive for swap).  Swap gets rewritten on reboot and
gets overwritten when needed.  If the swap drive dies, so what?  Replace
it and get on with life.  The data that was on it isn't persistent
and would eventually be overwritten by other requests anyway.  The cache
is exactly the same way.  I wouldn't bother with RAID of any kind for
cache or swap.

It IS a good idea to put swap or cache on the fastest media you have.
A farking HUGE RAM disk is best.  Wide SCSI-3 with a fast controller is
next, SATA next, with IDE bringing up the rear.  The idea here is to
have the cache keep the system from hitting the slower media in the
first place.

-              Careful!  Ugly strikes 9 out of 10 people!            -