FC4 imap server?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat Jul 30 18:16:57 UTC 2005

>> is
>> log
>> LOTS

>> > I got dovecot working pretty easily in FC3.  The config file is
>> > /etc/dovecot.conf.  Look through it and see if there's anything
>> > obviously not right for your installation, and then
>> >
>> >   service dovecot start
>> >
>> > If it starts happily, give it a test.  If it doesn't, check
>> > /var/log/messages for clues.  If it starts ok, but something doesn't
>> > work right, check /var/log/maillog and then edit the config file as
>> > required.
>> >
>> > Oh, and you'll want to
>> >
>> >   chkconfig dovecot on
>> >
>> > to assure that it comes up on the next boot.
>> >
>> > A quick search (dovecot tutorial) turned up this that might be useful:
>> >
>> > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-46540.html
>> >

>> Thanks for the help! I'm moving stuff from a RH8 machine and MAY have
>> dropped something from the /etc/passwd file (I tried to just add the
>> users, not just replace the file). Anyway, here's what I get:
>>
>> [root at sujan sbin]# service dovecot start
>> Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: Login user doesn't exist: dovecot
>>                                                            [FAILED]
>>

>> So, it appears I need to have a user called dovecot (I'm sure this is
>> buried in the documentation somewhere...). So, should I add a user
>> dovecot? What else should go on that line in etc/passwd?
>>
>> THANKS!
>>
>> Harold
>> (who remembered to bottom post this time!)
>
> Good man!
>
> Let "groupadd" and "useradd" do the dirty work:
>
>   groupadd -r dovecot
>   useradd -r -g dovecot -c dovecot -d /usr/libexec/dovecot -s
> /sbin/nologin dovecot
>
> The above is gleaned from the way the post-install script for the
> dovecot RPM set up my system.  The "-r" tells it to use a numerical
> groupid and userid down in the system area (1-500, maybe it's 1000,
> now).  "man groupadd" and "man useradd" for more explanation.

Thanks! It looks like the group was still there, but the user was gone.
Now SquirrelMail works! In reading docs last night, I saw something about
a change in folder structure that I'll have to deal with. None of the
folders copied over from the old machine showed up in SquirrelMail. They
show up in Pine ok, though. But, I'm much closer now to having it work.

Thanks!

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com