Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 problem,

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 15:17:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 06:01:09AM -0700, Leila Lappin wrote:

> --- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6/13/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora
> > core
> > > 3.  I'm an application developer not a system
> > person
> > > so I purchased the CDs instead of attempting to
> > > download and burn them myself.  Tonight after I
> > > received the CDs I started to install them but the
> > > process hangs just as soon as it starts.  The
> > > following is what happens.
> > >
> > >      Insert FC3 first CD and restart my system
> > >      Choose "Graphic Mode" by pressing enter
> > >
> > > A bunch of diagnostics run on the console then the
> > > screen starts changing color, the diagnostics fade
> > out
> > > and a bunch of vertical lines appear.  After that
> > > nothing happens the CD drive open but when I place
> > the
> > > second CD in it nothing happens.  Does anyone have
> > any
> > > idea what's going on and why?   If this is not the
> > > right place for me to ask my questions could
> > someone
> > > please suggest a better list or forum?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your advice
> > >

> > Leila,
> >    When the disk first starts up it's going to allow
> > you to choose a
> > kernel and also to add some kernel options. Try a
> > few options, such as
> >
> > nousb noacpi nofirewire nokudzu
> >
> > Those are just possibe suggestions and not real
> > guidance. Look at the
> > options list. It's there somewhere. Try changing a
> > few and seeing if
> > you can get past this. I've had problems with P4HT
> > machines and USB
> > detection.
> >
> > Also try doing a text install instead of graphics.
> > Sometimes that helps.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark
> >

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion.  I tried another option
> and exact same thing happened.  This time I selected
> to test the setup, I don't remember the exact wording
> something about media.  But it did exactly the same
> thing as when I chose to install in graphic mode! This
> is where it hangs:
>
> trying to remount root filesystem read write... done
> mounting /tmp as ramfs... done
> running install...
> running /sbin/loader
>
> I've searched through internet and found a few others
> having the same problem but I haven't found how they
> solved it.  One post says that there should be a pause
> of just 40 seconds and then I should the options to
> select the language and so on.  Well if anyone else
> has any ideas I'll appreciate your thoughts and
> suggestions.
>
> Leila

I've had several machines require the "acpi=off" option.  (That may be
the same as "noacpi" that Mark suggested.)  At least one other
required "ide=nodma".  See also

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#install_dies

for more (but possibly antiquated) suggestions.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.