Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 - Search for answers

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 16:42:32 UTC 2005

--- Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6/15/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > The mystery deepens,
> > >
> > > It turns out I have PS/2 connection for my
> > keyboard
> > > and mouse.  If the problem is incompatibility
> > between
> > > kernel options and the device type then it must
> > not in
> > > the physical device but in the setup parameters.
>
> > Any
> > > ideas? Have I misunderstood something?
> > >

> > Leila,
> >    Please clearify. Does this mean that you have a
> > keyboard that has a
> > USB connector at the end of the cable, and you
> have
> > been plugging it
> > in up until now to a USB port, but the keyboard is
> > also supplied with
> > a little USB to PS/2 converter to allow you to
> plug
> > it into the PS/2
> > keyboard port, and that after changing to that
> > configuration you are
> > still seeing the same problem?
> >
> >    If so then the next question just exactly how
> far
> > are you getting
> > during the install boot. I just grabbed an FC3
> > install disk. I put it
> > in an older machine and start booing. The
> > installation stuff comes up
> > and I can choose 5 pages of info using F1-F5. Do
> you
> > get that far? If
> > not let us know.
> >
> >    If you get that far then you look at F2 for
> > options. There aren't
> > many listed, but the ones that are look
> reasonable.
> > Try booting with
> >
> > linux text noprobe
> >
> > and see what results you have. this should disable
> > ALL hardware
> > probing and jsut try to boot the kernel. If your
> > basic hardware -
> > keyboard and VGA - are simple and compliant, then
> it
> > should boot. (I
> > hope!)
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Mark

> to:
> > redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com
> >

> Mark,
>
> I’ll do as best as I can to answer your questions
> regarding the connection.  If your find my answer is
> incomplete please let me know and then I’ll get
> someone with more hardware background to help me
> figure out the complete answer.
>
> Both my keyboard and mouse are Microsoft.  They are
> connected, straight from the device to the CP, with
> PS/2 connector.  I verified what a PS/2 connector
> looks like by checking some picture on the Internet
> (I’m not trying to be funny or pathetic just
> precise).
>  The connector looks round has six pins and three
> groves around the perimeter.

> [...]

Mark,

I followed your suggestion and typed “linux text
noprobe” at the boot prompt.

This time the process went one step further a dialogue
box opened up with the option to start a CD media
check or skip it.  The problem is that the keyboard
did not work.  So the box stays on that first question
until it gets faded out.  So now we know for sure what
the problem is, the boot kernel does not recognize any
input from the keyboard.

This might be too big a problem for me to solve.  I
would love to upgrade to Fedora but I don't want to be
a pest (in this mailing list), especially if the
problem is such that cannot be fixed without a closer
look.  Your feed back as to whether I should continue
or not is much appreciated.

Leila