Keeping track of config file changes

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Wed Jun 15 20:24:25 UTC 2005

> Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I'm currently using CVS to keep track of code on various
microcontroller
>> projects. Should I just create a "project" for all my config files and
import them into CVS when I start modifying them? Is anyone doing
something like this? Over the years, I end up with LOTS of modified
configs scattered around the system. How do you keep track of them?

> We prefer bottom-posting here, Harold.
>
> You can create a "module" for tracking this stuff, but it can get
gronchy.  What I typically do is use version numbers as filetypes and
use a symlink to point at the active one.  For example:

> 	[root at prophead samba]# ls -l smb.conf
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 root root 793 Mar 3 10:18 smb.conf.1
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 root root 793 Mar 4 14:28 smb.conf.2
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 root root 793 Mar 10 16:42 smb.conf.3
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 root root 793 Apr 22 12:20 smb.conf.4
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 root root 793 Apr 23 13:10 smb.conf.5
> 	-rw-r--r--  1 root root 793 Apr 24 11:22 smb.conf.6
> 	lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Apr 27 11:23 smb.conf -> smb.conf.6
>
> It can be ugly, but it works.  That's one thing I miss from the old
VAX/VMS filesystem...automatic versioning.  Of course, for commonly-
modified files you eventually had to do a "purge/keep=n" to get rid of
the old versions.

Interesting idea... Maybe the current one could just be .conf and keep all
the old ones with .n . Another thing I want to do is to quickly find ALL
the config files I've modified. I guess I could throw something unique
into the backup file names (ie, smb.conf.6.HH). I just tried that,
expecting ls -R *.HH to find it, but it doesn't unless the file is in my
current directory. What do I do to find files named *.HH anywhere on the
system?

THANKS!

Harold

--