How to recover for booting Windows CD and Windows partitions?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 20 18:32:18 UTC 2005

Andrew Tsang wrote:
>>>I've figured out the problem of booting the 2 WinXP at the last 2
>>>partitions. Since the partition numbers of these 2 WinXP had
>
> increased
>
>>>by 2 after I created the Linux partitions, changing c:\boot.ini to
>
> make
>
>>>the 2 corresponding boot entries referencing the new partition
>
> numbers
>
>>>resolves the problem. However, I am still unable to boot from any
>
> WinXP
>
>>>Installation CD.
>>
>>Rick Stevens wrote:
>>We prefer bottom posting here, Andrew.  Please try to comply if you
>
> can.
>

>>You have to set your BIOS to try to boot the CD BEFORE the hard drive.
>>I typically have the boot order set to:
>>

>>    floppy
>>    CD/DVD
>>    USB flash drive
>>    hard drive
>>

>>The idea is to have the system try removable media first before the
>>hard disk.
>>

> My BIOS was always set to boot CD first then Hard Drive, otherwise I
> would not be able to boot CD for installing my WinXPs & Linux. Seems
> booting of the WinXP installation CD depends on certain information on
> the hard drive during the initial stage & such information was
> overwritten by the Linux installation or Grub. I've tried swapping with
> another hard drive to test out my WinXP installation CD media & it works
> fine. My question is how I could recover such information so that I can
> boot from WinXP installation CD again without affecting all bootable
> partitions (including Linux).

If you have a bootable CD in the drive AND the computer tries the CD
first, it shouldn't matter what the hard drive has on it--the CD should
boot.  XP does have certain requirements regarding the manner in which
it boots from the hard drive (XP must be in a primary partition), but
the CD should boot regardless.
-      The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.      -