Samba problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 24 20:30:07 UTC 2005

Arden B. Norder wrote:
> Travis,
>
> Are you using Samba as a domain controller or a member server (files and
> printing)??

Arden, we prefer bottom-posting here.

Travis, make sure your Samba server and your domain controllers have the
same date (ideally, run ntpd on both).  If the date/time vary too far,
the DCs will boot the Samba machines out of the domain rather
unceremoniously.

> Arden
>
> On Jun 24, 2005 09:31 PM, "Waldher, Travis R" <Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com>
> wrote:
>

>>We have a recent issue with Samba running on EL 3.0.
>>
>>After a few hours or days of Samba being started, it stops responding.
>>Meaning, you try to go to the samba server, say \server and you get a
>>login prompt back that won't accept a user name and password.
>>
>>If you stop and restart smbd it starts working again.
>>
>>There isn't much for errors, though we are getting a LOT of these:
>>[2005/06/15 11:26:30, 0, pid=3502, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
>>lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1000)
>>  getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
>>
>>Google hasn't been able to tell me much about that error message.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Travis

-               If the enemy's in range...so are you!                -