Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 28 18:15:05 UTC 2005

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:43:05AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>>
>>><among other things>
>>>Hey, someone had to stand in the gap and offer _something_ to the OP
>>>until you got off your tin can and showed up here. ;-)
>>>
>>>I'm not accustomed to the rarified air of gigabit ethernet.  Only last
>>>week did I spring for a dual-speed (10/100Base-T) hub for my LAN.
>>>Woo!
>>
>>Sorry, but I've been up in our L.A. facility for the last four weeks
>>working my tail off installing a 10TB SAN system with a global file
>>system to replace our current NAS system.  This will be expanded to 45TB
>>within a month and we have to migrate over 6TB of data from the NAS to
>>the SAN without interrupting service.
>>
>>We spent a lot of $$$ on this and since my boss and I convinced the
>>company this is the only way we can go, it's been my focus.  I've had
>>very little brain power or stamina left over for the list.  I haven't
>>gotten home before 9:00 p.m. for a month, and that's only after a drive
>>of over an hour after putting in 14 hours at the office.  In a word, I'm
>>POOPED!
>>
>>If everything goes according to plan, we cut over to the new system on
>>Wednesday night (only three days late, even though half the equipment
>>was 2 weeks late in delivery), and I'll be back to the normal schedule
>>of 10 hour days in the Irvine office (only a 20 minute drive from home).
>

> Ok, I guess we'll let you off this time. ;-)  Golly, and I get dizzy
> thinking about gigabytes.

Heheheh!  Dig this!  The filesystem (and SAN) can expand to 2 petabytes
(that's 2,000 terabytes or 2 million gigabytes).  The way things are
going, we'll probably exceed 100TB by the end of the year.  You can't
believe the amount of fibrechannel stuff I've had to install!  About
250 73GB 15KRPM FC drives and growing.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -