kernel panic during install - can't find root device

Chris Buxton cbuxton at mac.com
Thu Jun 30 01:33:09 UTC 2005

I got it to work once with "linux root=/dev/hdc", but then during
installation, the kernel had a problem with /dev/sda. And it hasn't
worked again since.

If I specify the root device, except for that one time, it suggests I
pass another option, "init=". What value should I assign to "init"?

I'm using an nForce3-based motherboard. I've tried messing with BIOS
settings (loading alternately "failsafe" and "optimal" defaults).

Any hints for me?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Buxton